Austin's South By Southwest musicfest wrapped up on Saturday with its biggest day yet, featuring "secret" shows by mega-artists like Prince, Justin Timberlake, Smashing Pumpkins, and Fall Out Boy, along with hundreds of rising acts. I couldn't see it all, of course (note to SXSW execs: Can't you get a cloning-machine company to be a sponsor next year?), but I'm perfectly at peace with the gig choices I made Saturday. And as for what I missed…well, there's always SXSW 2014.Read More »from Four Cool Things Witnessed At SXSW 2013: Saturday, March 16
Featured Blog Posts
- Lyndsey Parker | SXSW – Sun, Mar 17, 2013 11:47 AM EDT
- Lyndsey Parker | SXSW – Sun, Mar 17, 2013 10:19 AM EDT
Only at an overbooked musicfest like Austin's South By Southwest would "secret" megashows by Justin Timberlake, Smashing Pumpkins, and Fall Out Boy be the respective second, third, and fourth gig choices of the week's final epic evening. Instead, the place to be on SXSW Saturday was Samsung Galaxy's private closing party headlined by the artist formerly, currently, and forever known as the almighty Prince.Read More »from Prince Closes SXSW With All-Night Private Purple Party
- Yahoo! Music | SXSW – Sat, Mar 16, 2013 6:28 PM EDT
South By Southwest all week for the best and brightest in music! Our editorial away team Lyndsey Parker and Billy Johnson Jr., and lone wolf Mr. Dave DiMartino have definitely earned medals this year with all they've seen, heard, and shared from Yahoo's headquarters at Brazos Hall and out and about in Austin, Texas. Check out our daily tweetcaps for photos, Vine vids, and show reviews in 140 characters or less!We're on the last leg of SXSW! Yahoo! Music has been tirelessly scouring the streets of Read More »from SXSW '13 Tweetcap: Saturday Bring the Dazzling Paloma Faith, Vintage Trouble Amazes, and More!
- Billy Johnson, Jr. | SXSW – Sat, Mar 16, 2013 3:34 PM EDT
I'm dubbing Day 4 at South By Southwest Funky Fresh Friday. Wow. As usual, there were too many things happening at the same time. I'm not a supporter of cloning, so this is just one of those things we have to deal with it. Life could be worse.
Friday featured some of my all time favorites: Fat Belly Bella--that's Erykah Badu for those of you slacking on your Twitter game--Ghostface Killah, some Brad Pitt comedy, and insight into Dr. Dre's coolest new venture. Let's get to it.Read More »from Five Hip-Hop Highlights At SXSW 2013: Friday, March 15
- Lyndsey Parker | SXSW – Sat, Mar 16, 2013 11:51 AM EDT
Tex fest South By Southwest lurched into the weekend this Friday, with what was perhaps its most overbooked, spoilt-for-choice day of the week. Depeche Mode, Green Day, the Flaming Lips, Natalie Maines, and Talib Kweli? All on the same night? Well, that's just downright cruel, SXSW bookers...
Yes, SXSW can be a frustrating exercise in FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out), because it is inevitable that some stellar shows must unfortunately be skipped. But I am pretty pleased with the array of shows I did manage to take in on Friday. Here are my highlights from the day:Read More »from Five Cool Things Witnessed At SXSW 2013: Friday, March 15
- Rob O'Connor | SXSW – Sat, Mar 16, 2013 7:20 AM EDT
For anyone attending the annual South By Southwest Festival (SXSW) in Austin, Texas, this week, the decisions have been painstaking. So make your final night count and choose wisely when you head out to Sixth Street on Saturday.
1) Third Eye Blind, 11pm, The Belmont - In December, Stephan Jenkins took to the Twitter to announce that Third Eye Blind's next album, their fifth, would be their last! What the follow-up to Ursa Major will eventually be remains to be seen, but maybe whatever writer's block is affecting the group can be broken down by enthusiastic applause?
2) Vampire Weekend, 12:15am, Stubb's - Well, it's the weekend, isn't it? Come see what's become of these famous quirky rockers in the three years they've been away from us. Will their new album Modern Vampires Of The City be the third album that solidifies their position as the best Vampires who have ever sorta-lived? Or has too much weekend doomed their bloody fate? You decide!
3) Twin Falls (featuring Chris Carrabba),Read More »from SXSW 2013: Five Best Shows To Catch On Saturday, March 16
- Lyndsey Parker | SXSW – Sat, Mar 16, 2013 5:28 AM EDT
When legendary synthpop band Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan, Martin Gore, and Andy Fletcher participated in a live Q&A this week at the Austin musicfest South By Southwest, Gahan wryly referred to himself as an "overpaid stripper." Two days later, Depeche played their first-ever SXSW show (and first proper gig since 2010), and Gahan--arguably one of the finest frontmen of all time, and one who was fittingly declared a "sex god" by a fan at that Q&A session--busted out some very slinky, very sexy, almost pole-worthy dance moves. And let's just say the man definitely earned his paycheck.Read More »from Depeche Mode Bring A Black Celebration To Austin With First-Ever SXSW Show
- Tiffany Lee | Stop The Presses! – Sat, Mar 16, 2013 1:52 AM EDT
They did it not once, not twice, not thrice, but four times (frice?)! Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon laid down another epic medley of rap songs to cap JT's week-long stint as musical guest on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. Covering Sugarhill Gang's 1981 classic "Apache (Jump On It)" up to Macklemore and Ryan Lewis's 2013 sleeper hit "Thrift Shop", the dynamic duo shook, rattled, and rhymed their way through 25 songs in under six minutes--and only cracked up once each! Pretty impressive, no? No doubt there will be Part 5, JT and JF are clearly having too much fun.
Here's the whole setlist:
· Sugarhill Gang – Apache (Jump On It) - 1981Read More »from The History of Rap Part 4: Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon Done It Again!
· Grandmaster Melle Mel - White Lines (Don’t Do It) – 1983
· Kurtis Blow – Basketball – 1984
· Fat Boys – The Fat Boys – 1984
· Run DMC – Its Tricky - 1987
· Beastie Boys - No Sleep Till Brooklyn - 1987
· LL Cool J – Going Back to Cali - 1988
· Slick Rick – Children’s Story - 1989
· 2 Live Crew - Me So Horny – 1989
· Public Enemy – Fight the Power -
- Yahoo! Music | SXSW – Sat, Mar 16, 2013 12:36 AM EDT
And now for a very special edition of #YahooSXSW Tweetcaps: We were the luckiest venue in Austin, Texas Friday night to have the legendary Depeche Mode play an exclusive set for us at Brazos Hall! Quite possibly the biggest event at SXSW this year, Dave Gahan and the lads had the audience in heaven as they performed new singles and classic staples. Check out our tweets, Flickrs and Vines for just a taste of what reaching out and touching faith is like! Our editor on the ground Lyndsey Parker will be giving you the whole scoop on the show once she fights off the fainting spells.
Be sure to come back to Yahoo! Music on March 26 to see video of our Depeche Mode show at SXSW!Read More »from SXSW '13 Tweetcap: Depeche Mode Melts Faces with New and Classic Hits at Yahoo! HQ!
- Tiffany Lee | Stop The Presses! – Fri, Mar 15, 2013 11:16 PM EDT
Lil Wayne had a seizure. He is hospitalized in Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. But as for the bombshell TMZ report that claimed the 30-year-old rap star was near-death, surrounded by family, and on the verge of receiving last rites? Not true, according to Team Weezy.
Around 6:30pm PT, a tweet was sent out from Lil Wayne's Twitter:
Yahoo! cannot confirm if the tweet was from Wayne himself; sources close to the rapper have told omg! Insider conflicting information about the rapper's current state and whether he is alert or in a medically induced coma.
However, Mack Maine, president of Weezy's Young Money Entertainment, tweeted out that TMZ's report was completely false.Read More »from Lil Wayne Shoots Down Near-Death Report: 'I'm Good Everybody'
News for You
- Mom: RI theater threw out disabled girl over noise
NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (AP) — A woman says she and her 5-year-old developmentally disabled daughter were thrown out of a theater during a "Beauty and the Beast" performance because the girl was making giggling and humming noises she makes when she's happy.
- Cher credits luck for her lengthy career
UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. (AP) — Cher is no stranger to tabloid fodder.
- Jenner: Kim Kardashian 'thrilled for the new baby'
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Kris Jenner says her daughter Kim Kardashian is thrilled to have a new baby girl.
- 'The Voice' Winner: Who Did the Experts Choose?
By Jethro Nededog LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - NBC's "The Voice" will crown another winner on Tuesday night's finale. Season 4's three finalists - Daniellle Bradbury, Michelle Shamuel and The Swon Brothers - battled it out for the title on Monday's performance finale episode. Before the performances, coaches Blake Shelton, Adam Levine, Shakira and Usher performed The Beatles' "With A Little Help From My Friends." The Top 16 then got together for the second group performance of the night on Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros' "Home. ...
- Miss Utah latest beauty queen to botch answer
LAS VEGAS (AP) — Miss Utah Marissa Powell is the latest beauty queen to trip on national television, not over her gown, but during the interview segment.
- Bieber behind wheel as car hits man in Hollywood
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Video shows Justin Bieber running into a photographer with his white Ferrari in Hollywood, but police say there was no crime and the injuries aren't life-threatening.