Without ever recording a single note, Jobs impacted the music world more than any artist or record exec. The iPod completely changed how we listen to music on a daily basis. At Apple's "Let's Talk iPhone" conference on Tuesday, just a day before Jobs passed away, new CEO Tim Cook revealed that Apple has sold over 300 million of their monolithic MP3 players since 2001. Thanks to the iPod, music fans were no longer tethered to listening to one CD or cassette at a time; an entire library of thousands of songs were always just a click wheel or touch screen away.
At a time when major music store chains like Tower Records were going broke and shutting down, Jobs' company created iTunes, which has become the biggest and best-selling digital record shop on the planet. Napster initially threatened to destroy the music industry with its Wild West approach to file sharing and downloading, but Jobs' music service taught the major labels how to profit from, and not fear, the MP3. Since it launched in 2003, the iTunes music store has sold over 16 billion songs.
There isn't an album made today that doesn't involve an Apple product at some point in the recording process. Many artists impacted by Jobs' legacy have taken to Twitter to pay tribute to our generation's Thomas Edison. These are just some of those tweets:
• Trent Reznor: "Thanks for the tools, the inspiration, the possibilities... Miss you already Steve."
• Coldplay: "We are so sad to hear about the passing of Steve Jobs. In all of our encounters with him he was such a lovely man, and always so humble about his incredible talents. Like all of the people he knew, and the millions of others he didn't, we will miss him. Love, Coldplay"
• Guns N' Roses: "When people say it's not about the possessions but how you're remember - they are talking about people like Steve Jobs. RIP"
• Frank Ocean: "pretty sad about steve jobs. farewell to another visionary."
• Will.i.am: "#youchangetheworld we lost a great innovator...steve jobs designed a whole new world...he will be missed... plant these apple seeds for steve jobs...so we can grow more more genius's. i hope the youth chooses to be like steve jobs...we need more innovators..."
• Raekwon: "R.I.P Steve jobs!"
• Wiz Khalifa: "Retweet if you are touching an Apple product #SteveJobs #iSad"
• Neil Diamond: "iSad."
- Steve Jobs