In 2014, Yahoo Celebrity is going to recognize one celeb each month for their contributions to pop culture — whether they made a splash on social media, inspired multiple memes, or simply started a new hair trend. We want to honor that person who through their very presence made the Internet a better place.
Best Person on the Internet This Month: Macklemore
Check out nine reasons why (drumroll, please) we think Macklemore (aka Ben Haggerty) ruled in the month of January.
1. The Grammy Wedding: Macklemore and his music partner, Ryan Lewis, stole the show at the Grammys when they performed their song “Same Love” as Queen Latifah officiated a live wedding of more than 30 gay and straight couples. When viewers thought the group nuptials couldn’t get any more exciting, Madonna took the stage to sing parts of her 1986 ballad "Open Your Heart." That Sunday, Macklemore was mentioned in more than 1 million tweets.
2. Personal Evolution: We've seen the 2009 tweets that Salon deemed "homophobe-ish" and others called worse, but even if Macklemore actually meant them in a straightforward way, he's obviously changed his tune and has now taken a serious stand in favor of civil rights.
3. His 4 Grammy Wins: Not only did Macklemore & Ryan Lewis win a Grammy Award for Best New Artist, but they swept the rap genre. Their jam "Thrift Shop" was named Best Rap Performance and Best Rap Song, while their debut album, "The Heist," received Best Rap Album honors.
4. The Apology: A lot of hip-hop fans were outraged that the duo won Best Rap Album over more "legitimate" artists such as Kanye West or Kendrick Lamar, and so was Macklemore. The 30-year-old sent a message to Kendrick Lamar apologizing to the singer and shared a screenshot of the text with his 2.7 million Instagram followers. While some people questioned his sincerity, Lamar gave his fellow rapper his blessing in an interview with Spin magazine. "It's well deserved," Lamar said of the awards. "He did what he did, man. ... He went out there and hustled and grinded. Everything happens for a reason; the universe comes back around, that's how it go."
5. Cool Rider: Macklemore got people buzzing even before his big night — Jan. 15 to be exact — when he and Lewis gave an impromptu performance of their hit “Can’t Hold Us” on a Brooklyn bus filled with surprised and delighted passengers.
6. Perfect Picture: He got the legendary Sir Paul McCartney to take a goofy selfie with him!
7. Super Fan Status: Macklemore is so devoted to the Seattle Seahawks that he said performing at halftime of the NFC Championship game, where the Hawks beat the San Francisco 49ers to advance to the Super Bowl, was a personal highlight. "I've been a Seattle sports fan my entire life, and this was by far and away the greatest moment," he told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. Forty-niners fans might want to steer clear of him during the Super Bowl this weekend.
8. Mustache Modeling Shot: After a photo of Macklemore wearing the jersey of another NFL team a few years ago was posted to Instagram, the rapper revealed that he'd taken the snap during his days as a mustache model. And no, he wasn't sporting one of the cool 'staches that's trendy with hipsters now.
9. Romantic Gestures: He showed the love for his bride-to-be of one year and girlfriend of seven years, Tricia Davis, when he remembered to thank "his beautiful fiancée" during his acceptance speech for Best New Artist. He also continues to shower her with adoration in photos like this one shared with fans.
Honorable Mention Goes To: Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. See why the funny ladies wowed us in January as well!
- Arts & Entertainment
- Ryan Lewis
- Kendrick Lamar