* Most importantly, Framed, the blog, closed in on five years of continuous excellence! The captions simply got better and better, until, now — and we're proud to say this! — they make no sense to anyone on any level whatsoever! Three cheers for us!
* The "Arab spring" ended dictatorships in Egypt , Tunisia , and Libya. No longer would citizens of those countries live in fear of a military force that didn't answer to the citizens. And, in completely unrelated news, U.S. troops finally left Iraq .
* The American political process continued to produce men and women of high character and deep insight into our nation's problems. And also men and women like Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich, and Michele Bachmann.
* Not forgetting about popular music, which, to be honest, we usually do, 2011 saw Adele named Billboard's top artist of the year. Fox TV launched The X Factor, because what this country really needed was a reality singing competition of any kind! And the Lou Reed/Metallica project, Lulu, was warmly received by everyone everywhere.
Other things happened, too!
* Finally, in the world of science, astronomers had discovered a total of 708 extrasolar planets as of this month. Or, at least, they said they've discovered them. We think it sounds suspiciously like these "molecules" and "atoms" they always talk about, that — conveniently? — no one ever actually sees.
And speaking of actually seeing, we've got a great video to close out the year: it's the great Jimi Hendrix Experience doing their classic take on "Hey Joe," then segueing into an instrumental version of Cream's "Sunshine of Your Love." It all occurred on British TV, on January 4, 1969, on a show called "Happening for Lulu"... the host, as you'll see was Lulu, who had a big hit song in 1967 with "To Sir, With Love." Anyway, the extra tune caused the show to run long, infuriating the producers. But not us!
We'd like to thank you for patronizing Framed and Y! Music in 2011, and cordially invite you back for lots more music video caption fun in the new year. Have a great 2012!
1 — "Hi, I'm Lulu. You may remember me from such hits as 'To Sir With Love' and, once again, 'To Sir With Love.'"
2 — "All the great 21st century albums will be about me!"
3 — "Hey, Noel, refresh my memory. Where the heck was Joe goin' with that gun in his hand?"
4 — "Neat! Kindling!"
5 — Geddy Lee was a big fan of Jimi, and often wished that his own band performed songs that didn't invite ridicule.
6 — "And next we'd like to do an a capella version of 'Tales of Brave Ulysses.'"
7 — Historians now believe Jimi often knew why he was actin' funny.
8 — "What I'd do? If the sun went nova during this very song?"
9 — Proudly, Noel liked to show how tall Jimi was at various ages.
10 — "Then... it's true, Gummo? The music of the future will be even better?"
11 — "I used to lament the lack of colorful and engaging religious magazines, when, all along, The Watchtower was there. Do you get it?"
12 — "Wow, he really was good. He must've been born in, like, Kenya, right?"
- Arts & Entertainment
- Arts & Entertainment/Media