Remember when Howard Stern launched a campaign last year to support the American Idol unhopeful Sanjaya Malkar?
Mission accomplished.Kenny Chesney, who goes head up against 50 Cent and Kanye West for best first week album sales for their 9/11 street date? Let's do it. After more than 30 years of mainstream success, I'd say it's about time for hip-hoppers to come up with another way to promote their music instead of sparking rivalries.
Here's why Hip Hoppers Should Support Kenny Chesnsey on 9/11:
- Kenny's no Sanjaya. He is a country music icon and could actually debut at No. 1. He has done it four other times.
- Sure it would have been more interesting ifKeith Urban was coming out on September 11, considering his hip-hip demeanor--can't stay sober, cheats on his fine, superstar wife, etc. But truth be told, like most rappers, Kenny is no role model himself. Rene Zellweger kicked him to the curb after four months of marriage--much quicker than Diddy's three-time babymama did him. Kenny must have done something pretty good for sweet little Rene to resort to that.
- Kenny keeps it real. You know the cliché, you can take a person out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of a person? Well, this does not only apply to rappers. Big Ken has two houses in St. John's Virgin Islands and his favorite part of one of the houses is called the Executive Suite.60 Minutes and thought I was seeing an episode of MTV's My Block. Only someone with a rapper-like street cred obsessed mentality would add that type of element to a vacation home Caribbean getaway.
- While the Shop Boyz brag that they party like rock stars,
- Doesn't 50 Cent going after Kanye take you back to 2002,Ja Rule's career as the springboard to promote Get Rich Or Die Tryin'?
- If Kanye comes in at No. 1, I'd hate to hear the remix for "Can't Tell Me Nothin'."
- If 50 does not debut at the top, I want to see if he will really retire.
- Plus, Kenny is from Knoxville, TN. And everybody knows that the Dirty South runs this mother...
While I'm gunning for Kenny, we are taking a 50 vs Kanye poll. Definitely make sure you vote.