I felt uneasy about Michael Jackson's death and wonderedwhat role the media scrutiny played in his demise. I was saddened by hisstruggles with his image, allegations of child molestation, even insomnia.
But Monday's news that Michael's death was considered ahomicide by the Los AngelesCounty coroner makes me feel worse. It now makes sense why he performed so well in theThis Is It tour rehearsal footage taped just before he died. Basically,according to a LosAngeles Times report, his death could have been avoided.
According to a search warrant affidavit reviewed by the LosAngeles Times, the day Michael died, Dr.Conrad Murray gave him a series of sedatives, including a lethal dose ofpropofol.
Even a person without an education in medicine wouldconsider suspect the dosages of medicine Murrayadministered to Michael.
According to the affidavit, not only had Murray been giving Michael propofol everynight for six weeks, he gave Michael a series of drugs the morning he died.
At 1:30 a.m., Murraygave Michael valium. At 2 a.m., he injected him with lorazepam, and, at 3 a.m.,Murrayadministered midzaloam. None of these medicines sedated Michael, so over thenext few hours, Murrary continued to give him additional drugs.
The dosage instructions for basic over-the-counter drugslike Tylenol or Robitussin direct users to take the medicine every four hours.When I had surgery on my ankle last year, I asked my doctor if I could take mypain medicine more frequently than every four hours, and he told me, "No."
What was Murraythinking, giving Michael these potent medicines in 30 minute intervals?
By 10:40 a.m. the morning of Michael's death, Murray gave him propofol, which ultimately killed him.
I find it interesting that soon after Michael's passing, hisformer nurse CherilynLee spoke to the media, explaining that she advised him against taking diprivan(propofol) and doing so from home.
I wonder why it was obvious to a nurse that taking thismedicine could be deadly, though Murraysaw fit to administer it.
But Murrayshould not have complied.
A self-inflicted overdose is bad enough. But a physician-assistedoverdose is shameful and has to be a violation of their code of ethics.
Considering Murray'sreported financial troubles, it appears as if he was more concerned with his$150,000 per month salary than Michael's well being.
It is unfortunate that Michael did not get the interventionhe needed to guide him back on track.
Michael died on June 25 after experiencing a heart attack.
His family is reportedly considering filing a wrongful-death suit.