photo courtesy of "Saturday Night Live"
Sister-act trio Haim made their debut as the musical guests on "Saturday Night Live" over the weekend. While the show has showcased huge stars like Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, and Lady Gaga this season, Haim (pronounced like the Hebrew phrase L'chaim, not like late teen idol Corey Haim) are relatively unknown, so we thought we'd give you the rundown on the trio consisting of Este, Danielle, and Alana Haim.
1. They were born in different years and months, but their birthdays fall sequentially on the 14th (Este, March 14, 1986), 15th (Alana, Dec. 15, 1991) and 16th (Danielle, Feb. 16, 1989) day of the months they were born in.
2, They grew up in the San Fernando Valley and played in a family band called Rockinhaim with their Israeli-born father Mordechai on drums and mother Donna on guitar. Performing at fairs and charity events, their sets included covers of songs by the Santana, the Beatles, Billy Joel, Van Morrison, and the Eagles. The still love the Eagles, but can't stand "Hotel California," which was frequently featured in Rockinhaim's sets.
3. Later, Danielle and Este were in the Valli Girls and landed songs on The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and Nickelodeon Kids' Choice soundtracks.
4. While not on tour, Alana and Este still live in their parents' home in Valley Village, while Danielle has her own place in Studio City. "The Valley is the bomb-dot-com," Alana recently told Rolling Stone.
5. Este graduated from UCLA with a degree in Ethnomusicology in 2010. She specialized in Bulgarian and Brazilian music and even sang in a Bulgarian women's choir.
6. Before Haim took off, Danielle was a sought-after musician, landing spots as a touring musician for Rilo Kiley's Jenny Lewis and the Strokes' Julian Casablancas. She also did a stint as a member of CeeLo Green's all-female backing band Scarlet Fever.
7. All three sisters are multi-instrumentalists. Este can play guitar and bass, Danielle plays guitar and drums, and Alana plays keyboards and percussion. However, in live performances, Este usually plays bass, Danielle sings lead vocals and plays lead guitar, and Alana plays rhythm guitar, keyboards, and percussion.
8. The band's first album, Days Are Gone, debuted at No. 6 on the Billboard 200 with sales of 26,000 in its first week, but in the U.K., it debuted at No. 1, with sales of 37,000, besting Justin Timberlake's The 20/20 Experience, 2 of 2.
9. Linkin Park MC Mike Shinoda, Ke$ha, and Vampire Weekend's Rostam Batmanglij are a fans and all attended the band's October headlining show at the Fonda Theatre in Hollywood.
- Arts & Entertainment
- Corey Haim