While the big show was happening on screen, there was plenty of action in the audience, the lobby and backstage that the public couldn't see. Here's a peek at what you missed from inside the theater.
1. Gaga is a Directioner: Before Lady Gaga crushed it on stage, she came out to the audience to watch one important group: One Direction. No seriously … sitting in a seat that would eventually pass to Taylor Swift, Gaga was on her feet during 1D's entire performance of "Story of My Life." She was singing, dancing, and clapping. Not too surprising considering she stood up for the boys at the VMAs a few months ago.2. Diva Row: Ever wonder what kind of girl talk goes down in the artist dressing rooms? Let the fun guessing games begin, because this year's backstage featured a"Diva Row" (and we mean that in the best way of course). Lady Gaga had two rooms sandwiched in between Jennifer Lopez and Katy Perry while Christina Aguilera was across the way. Oh to be a fly on that wall!
3. The Ex Factor: Taylor Swift and Styles came face to face again but there was no interaction between the two to get tongues wagging (in the audience at least). Swift wasn't in the audience for One Direction's performance but later on, she and the boys were ushered back inside the theater during the same commercial break. Taylor breezed past Harry -- who was sat first, but in a different section -- on the way to her seat. Still, both were cordial for their respective wins. Taylor clapped as 1D swept up as did Harry when the "Red" singer cleaned up shop. Taylor walked by Harry's area a few times, but there were no hello's exchanged that we could see.
4. The Swift Twist: It's become a fixture that we love: Taylor on her feet for every single performance. Sure, you probably saw that on TV, but we can break down the artists she actually got down for: Imagine Dragons and Miley Cyrus. Taylor was busting out some sultry moves during "Radioactive," and sang along to every word of "Wrecking Ball" with a lot of emotion and head bobbing. Clearly, there is no bad blood between Taylor and Miley!
5. Even Celebs Get Locked Out During Commercial Breaks: Jaden Smith didn't quite make it back to his seat to catch Rihanna's performance and he was super bummed about it. "Ah, are we missing this??" Smith asked a few of his pals, before rushing to a monitor in the hallway to watch. "She is just killing it right now." One star who made sure to get inside for Rihanna? Katy Perry - still done up in her Geisha look. Perry rushed to see Rihanna receive her Icon award. For what it's worth, generally when an artist finishes their performance they stay backstage unless they are a nominee in the next category. So it shows a lot or respect that Katy rushed to catch RiRi's moment.
6. Young Love: Once Jaden made it back into the audience, Kylie -- who was sitting a few rows back with Kendall -- rushed up to sit beside her beau while Kendall made her way backstage before presenting. Kylie and Jaden definitely had a few flirty taps and looked pretty adorable together. She was playing with a silver necklace; the same one Jaden ended up bringing on stage when he presented. Kylie and Jaden also stood up to cheer when Kendall finally presented and she smiled down, giving them a "thank you" nod.
7. Lopez Love: Jennifer Lopez's sultry performance had everyone on their feet, including her ex-husband Marc Anthony. Still wearing his sunglasses, he went wild cheering on his former love, standing, clapping, and putting his hands in the air.
8. Brotherly Love: More for you 1D fans … guess who they were bro'ing out with? The guys from Imagine Dragons! During commercial breaks, the One Direction boys were talking a lot with the alternative rock band who were seated behind them. Also, Niall was the first up and out of his seat when Macklemore and Ryan Lewis were announced as winner for "The Heist," and clapped very hard during their acceptance speech about racial profiling.
9. When the Lights Go Down: It's always fun to see a performer's reaction when they are finished and the cameras are off of them. Ariana Grande (who killed it) was incredibly excited after her performance. She jumped up and down and high-fived all of her backup singers. Christina Aguilera was similarly in a good mood, running to hug and kiss the guys of A Great Big World after their amazing performance of "Say Something." As for Miley? Well, she obviously stuck her tongue out, turned around and gave a booty shake, while throwing her hands up in the air.
-- Additional reporting by Lauren Schutte
- Arts & Entertainment
- Taylor Swift
- Lady Gaga
- Katy Perry
- Jennifer Lopez
- Christina Aguilera