Of all the music memes of the entire year, we narrowed them down to the best 8 based on reach, buzziness and of course, hilarity. Repeat customer Miley Cyrus won't be left alone next year with her Bangerz tour coming up. The memes will definitely keep coming in. We love it, you love it, Reddit loves it.
Behold! The 8 best music memes of 2013!
8. Drake The Type of Dude
Emotions are just kind of a thing for the "Hold On We're Going Home" casanova, YMCMB comrade and apparent softy. Though some credit the rapper/vocalist for spinning sadness into swag, the masterminds behind a meme entitled "Drake The Type of Dude" would much rather poke fun at his touchy-feeliness. "Drake The Type of Dude" typically features an image of Drake along with a caption that compares him to another symbol of touchy-feeliness, as seen here.
7. Miley Cyrus's Butt
To many crafty Internet meme creators, the uncooked bird became the metaphor of choice for the It-girl's exposed rear end as seen mid-twerk at the VMAs. After the performance, countless Miley heads were digitally clipped and positioned onto images of raw turkeys. Many renditions of the singer's rear were circulated but perhaps the best was a shocking animated .GIF that went viral during the Thanksgiving season. How festive!
6. Miley CageThere are some things that just can't be unseen - and Miley Cage is one of them. The madness began shortly after the release of Cyrus's controversial "Wrecking Ball" clip. A YouTube jokester spliced the visage of actor Nicolas Cage onto that of Cyrus swinging in her birthday suit, and the rest was history. Cue countless GIFs, Vines and other permutations of a meme that made sure one of 2013's buzziest music videos would never be the same again.
5. Jay-Z Awkward DiveIt's difficult to detach Jay Z from his super slick, ultra cool image as hip-hop's top producer and extremely fortunate beneficiary of Beyonce's hand in marriage. But in a photo that popped up of Hova on vacation jumping off a yacht, we were reminded that he's still a middle-aged dad. Hunched over with a gut showing in dorky board shorts, his hesitant leap was spliced onto roller coasters, in Star Wars and most notably onto other headline-making moments like catching Miguel's jump or grabbing Miley's behind.
4. Robin Thicke as BeetlejuiceWhile there weren't many versions of this meme, the one photo of Beetlejuice's head spliced onto Robin Thicke's body (look, Lydia's in the audience!) from the 2013 VMAs was one of the most widespread memes of the year. You'd be hard-pressed to find an active Internet user who hasn't see it. His black and white striped suit even spawned a sort of IRL meme with countless Halloween costumes conveniently made from re-purposed Beetlejuice get-ups.
3. Beyonce's Superbowl Faces
Rarely is a meme been so powerful and hilarious that it caused the subject's team to actively contain it. Once professional photos of Beyonce grimacing and flexing like the Hulk (that's her real body!) at the 2013 Super Bowl halftime show popped up, people saw an all-too-good-opportunity to go nuts. And nuts they did. Memes of the insanely fit singer ran rampant, and Bey's publicity team requested that "unflattering" photos be removed from news sites. But that was bad news for B. The request only fed the public's curiosity for her most unflattering photos and probably prolonged the meme's run.
2. Miguel's Billboard Awards Jump
He was told by event producers not to jump during his performance, but R&B star Miguel just couldn't keep his feet on the ground. His leap of faith over the heads of his audience at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards could not have been worse as he ended up drop-kicking several female audience members on live television! Within minutes, images of Miguel, leg out in mid-air, were pasted into wrestling rings, first-person fighting games and captioned with every joke possible. But it was no joke for the victims, one of whom suffered cognitive injuries. Calculating shock value, genuine injury level and just plain ripeness for meme-ing, Miguel's jump ranks as one of the greatest this year.
1. Harlem ShakeNot for a long time have we seen a such a time-consuming meme spread so far and wide. Everyone from celebrities, to late night talk shows, to grandmas, to West Point and more gave it a go. Add on the wave of meme'd anti-Harlem Shake responses and you've got an Internet phenomenon that is undoubtedly the biggest music meme of 2013. Office workplaces across the planet are forever scarred from being pressured into donning ridiculous costumes and air-humping through their own Harlem Shake videos. But in the latter half of 2013, the video meme went in complete free fall that was just as fast as its meteoric rise. Such is the case with memes: Nothing is sacred and nothing lasts forever. Still, some people are actively posting Harlem Shake videos months after it's peak, and at least the hilarious movement put the song's creator Baauer on the map.
What were your favorite music memes of the year? Share them in the comments!
Additional reporting by Marisa Okano.
- Arts & Entertainment
- Miley Cyrus