But since veggie/organic fare has been one of this past decade's biggest foodie trends, for this week's "Songs Of The 21st Century" theme, she's serving healthy snacks. And it's a good thing, too--another week of deep-fried banana fritters, loaded nachos, and fish 'n' chips, and I might not have been able to pry my widening backside off my TV couch!
Start your health-food kick now with Sarah's latest recipe. Who knew watching TV could be so healthy?
Chicken & Shrimp Lettuce Wraps
▪ 1 tbsp peanut oil
▪ salt and pepper
▪ 8oz boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
▪ 1/4 tsp sesame oil
▪ 2 carrots, shaved (using a vegetable peeler)
▪ 2 scallions, julienned
▪ 2-inch piece of ginger, julienned
▪ 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
▪ 5 mushrooms, thinly sliced
▪ 2 small garlic cloves, thinly sliced
▪ 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
▪ 1/4 cup soy sauce
▪ 4 tsp fish sauce
▪ 4 tsp sugar
▪ 8 oz shrimp, peeled and deveined
▪ 8 pieces Boston Bibb lettuce
1. Heat the oil in a large wok over high heat. Lightly sprinkle the chicken with the salt and pepper. Sauté the chicken until cooked through, around 4-5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. Add the sesame oil and the next 7 ingredients through the red pepper and sauté until vegetables are soft.
3. While veggies are sautéing, whisk the soy sauce, fish sauce, and sugar in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add half of the mixture to the veggies and save the remaining for dipping.
4. Add the shrimp and sauté until cooked, around 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken to the pan just to heat through. Serve on top of the Boston Bibb lettuce and a small ramekin of sauce on each plate.
Check out Sarah's food and music blogs at http://sarahsmusicalkitchen.com/
Follow Yahoo! Music:
- American Idol