4. The Three-fer: Lionel Richie, John Oates of Hall & Oates and Bruce Springsteen In One
Yes, 'tis true, a three-fer costume! Your friends will surely be in awe, or at least sufficiently confused. With a base costume, a few things in your pockets and minimal changes, you can be the legendary person who dressed as three equally legendary music stars in one Halloween night.
Three-fer #1: Lionel Richie from the "Hello" Video
- Curly black wig, cut into a mullet. Okay, so I know I promised no visits to the Halloween store. But this one will get you the biggest bang for your buck. I opted for a "Disco" wig. (Costume shop, $17.00)
- Large gray blazer with the sleeves rolled up (Thrift store, $3.00)
- White t-shirt with the fabric tag cut off (Jo-Ann Fabrics, $5.00)
- Iron-on transfer paper (Staples, $10.00 for pack)
- An iron
- Computer printer
- Fake mustache, whether purchased or drawn on with make-up. NO SHARPIE! (Costume shop, $1.50)
How to make:
Step 1: Print out those mystical words, "Hello? Is it me you're looking for?" onto the transfer paper according to its instructions. Well hello, here's an image for you to print right here.
Step 2: Iron on the words according to instructions on the white t-shirt.
Step 3: Put on your wig, shirt, blazer and mustache. Look longingly into the distance.
Crank it up: Make your own creepy clay Lionel Richie head to carry around.
All Night Long"
Things to keep in your back pocket for your costume changes:
- Deflated blow-up guitar (Party City, $5.00)
- Black electrician's tape (Hardware store, $1.50)
- White tape (masking, athletic, etc) or blank white sticky labels (Pharmacy/Staples, $2-$6)
- Sharpie (Staples, $1.50)
- Red bandana (Jo-Ann Fabrics, $2.00)
Three-fer #2: John Oates from Hall & Oates' "I Can't Go For That" Video
With your existing Lionel Richie costume, bust out your black electrician's tape, white tape or labels, sharpie and inflatable guitar. You're about to become an Oates looking for his Hall.
How to make:
Step 1: Pull some curls on the wig forward for some good bang action.
Step 2: Line the edges of your blazer lapels with black tape.
Step 3: Inflate guitar.
Step 4: This is key: On your t-shirt, cover the "E" and "O" in "HELLO" with the white tape or stickies. Use the sharpie to write "A" over the "E". Now your shirt brilliantly says, "Hall? Is it me you're looking for?"
Crank it up: Go around the party asking random people, "Are you Hall?" If their answer is no, snap back, "No-ooo can do!" and storm off.
Time to create: "Did It In A Minute"
Additional cost: $8.00-$12.00
Three-fer #3: Bruce Springsteen
Who doesn't love The Boss! It's the perfect costume for that magical twilight hour when things at the party get a little out of hand. Pull out that red bandana because we're dancing in the dark!
How to make:
Step 1: Ditch the mustache and blazer.
Step 2: Turn your t-shirt inside out and backwards. Roll up the sleeves.
Step 3: Tie that bad boy bandana around your forehead. Now you officially rule.
Crank it up: To really get into character, take the advice my photographer gave me: Look constipated... No, more constipated.
Time to create: So fast, you'd swear you were "Born To Run".
Additional cost: $2.00
But wait, if there's another Halloween party around the corner, you can still use some materials for one last bonus costume…
Can you guess who it is?