So who could blame us for assuming that Christina (the more talented but seemingly more troubled of the two) was on a Promises-bound downward spiral, while Britney's career had nowhere to go but up, up, up?
Well, obviously a whole lot's changed since then. Maybe, just maybe, these girls' fates were sealed by their choices in husbands.Kevin Federline. She and K-Fed made an unwatchable reality show about their doomed love, Chaotic, mostly shot on a nightvision camcorder; she quickly popped out two babies and then almost as quickly lost interest in them; she filed for divorce from K-Fed; and then things REALLY downward-spiraled from there, as has been detailed in this very blog over the past year.
We can only wonder what might have happened if, in some alternate pop universe, Christina had married one of her backup dancers and Britney had married a nice young exec at her record label instead. But we'll never know. All we can do is offer congratulations to Christina and our continued prayers to Britney.Good Charlotte's Joel Madden. We're just hoping that Nicole, who's had her own troubled tabloid past, follows Christina's example instead of Britney's. We suggest that she schedule some playdates for Harlow and Max, pronto.
And on the pregnancy/baby subject (but on a much, much sadder note), our hearts and condolences go out to Lily Allen.Chemical Brothers, but now she's confirmed that she is in a "state of shock" after suffering a miscarriage. Very sad stuff. We hope this grieving couple will be able to "Smile" once again soon. Amy Winehouse. And now it seems Amy's own relationship, with currently incarcerated husband Blake Fielder-Civil (Britain's answer to K-Fed, hence our clever nickname "UK-Fed") may be on the rocks. Rumors are circulating that she is having an affair with her superstar producer Mark Ronson (and, perhaps equally distressingly, that she and Mark are collaborating on a Hannukah album for the 2008 holiday season), but we're wondering if her horrendous new bleach job has anything to do with Blake's reported request for a separation. Seriously, blonde is not a good look for Amy; she'd actually be better off shaving HER head. Anyway, Amy's clearly a major talent, so we're hoping that she can turn her life around like Christina did. Maybe Amy ought to say yes, yes, yes to rehab already. Bjork allegedly attacked a New Zealand shutterbug at the Auckland Airport last weekend, and it's not the first such incident for the swan-dressed Icelandic eccentric. (In 1996, the "Army Of Me" singer launched a one-woman battle against a reporter who attempted to interview her son at an airport in Thailand.) But hey, it could have been worse: At least Bjork didn't use an umbrella in her attack!
THIS WEEK'S TOP 10 STORIES:
1) They Want A Piece Of Her - Four photographers are arrested for reckless driving after a late-night car chase with Britney Spears.
2) What A Mom Wants - Christina Aguilera gives birth to a healthy baby boy.
3) Amy Winehouse's Marriage In Need Of Rehab? - Divorce rumors swirl around the troubled star.
4) The Search For The Next Sanjaya Begins - American Idol kicks off its seventh season.
5) Really "Big" Hitmakers - Mary J. Blige, 50 Cent, Timbaland, and Wyclef Jean are implicated in an ongoing steroid investigation.
6) Nicole Richie & Joel Madden's Life Now A Little Less Simple - They've become parents for the first time.
7) Lily Allen Suffers Miscarriage - The 22-year-old songbird is devastated by her loss.
8) Read Without Prejudice - George Michael inks a $7 million book deal to pen his memoirs.
9) No More "I Love You's" For Annie Lennox & Her Label? - The ex-Eurythmics star claims Sony won't return her calls.
10) It's Oh So Violent - Bjork attacks a photographer in New Zealand.
- Arts & Entertainment