Of course, in an era when individual digital songs sell by the millions (the most-downloaded track of all time, the Black Eyed Peas' "I Got A Feeling," has sold seven times more copies than Recovery; Flo Rida, Gaga, Jason Mraz, and Ke$ha have all sold 5 million or more copies of a single song; and more than 200 songs have sold 2 million downloads), Recovery's digital numbers seem a tad less impressive. But album sales are moving in the right direction--UP, that is--so allow us to celebrate a little.
Music industry machinations may have dominated headlines this week, but the artists behind the music kept pretty busy themselves. Bow Wow revealed that he has a secret daughter; ex-Oasis man Noel Gallagher held a London press conference to announce two forthcoming solo albums and, of course, talk smack about his estranged little brother Liam; Ghostface Killah was sued for allegedly illegally sampling the "Iron Man" theme; "American Idol" castoff Pia Toscano signed the dotted line on her Interscope Records contract, then hit the road with her Season 10 "Idol" castmates for a big summer tour; a bunch of Latin jazz musicians threatened to sue the Grammys; Gucci Mane was freed from prison; and, back to the subject of sales, Justin Bieber may sell downloads, but pretty much no one wanted to buy his cover issue of Vanity Fair this week.
Be sure to check out the links below for more details on all those stories, and we'll see you next week for another roundup of the biggest music news.
THIS WEEK'S TOP 10 MUSIC STORIES:
1) Music Business Recovery? - Eminem's album hits a sales milestone, and overall music sales are up from last year.
2) Massive Attack - Nicki Minaj's cousin is tragically gunned down in Brooklyn.
3) Bow Wow's Big "Wow" News - The "My Baby" rapper reveals he has a secret daughter.
4) What's The Story? - Ex-Oasis man Noel Gallagher holds a press conference to announce his solo album plans...and diss brother Liam.
5) Pia Seals The Deal - "American Idol" ninth-placer Pia Toscano officially signs to Interscope Records.
6) The British Are Coming! - Innovative U.K. music streaming service Spotify announces plans to launch in the States.
7) Beliebers Aren't Big Readers - Justin Bieber's Vanity Fair cover is the lowest-selling issue of the magazine in years.
8) Free Gucci! - Gucci Mane gets out of jail.
9) Grammy Committee Denies Racism - Various musicians threaten to sue NARAS over the controversial elimination of 31 Grammy categories.
10) A Killah Court Case - Ghostface Killah is sued by "Iron Man's" composer for alleged illegal sampling.
Follow Yahoo! Music:
- Arts & Entertainment