We here at That's Really Week usually keep on the lighter side of the news. But this week is heavy, man. There's no way we can crack any jokes about this week's top story. So we're not going to even try.Kanye West's beloved mother--inspiration for his song "Hey Mama," author of Raising Kanye: Life Lessons From The Mother Of A Hip-Hop Star, and major influence on Kanye's music--passed away last Saturday. Until now, 2007 had been a year of amazing highs for Kanye (winning that 50 Cent sales war, releasing one of the most successful albums of the year, triumphing at the BET and Mobo Awards, upstaging almost everyone at the Concert For Diana, planning his wedding with fiance Alexis, etc.). But now the year is ending with the lowest of lows, as Kanye has lost one of his biggest supporters, Dr. Donda West.
In fact, only six days after Donda's death, a $30,000 warrant was issued for Dr. Adams's arrest, because he failed to appear at a hearing (for a case stemming from a malpractice lawsuit by a patient who claims he left a sponge inside her). However, eventually Adams did turn up (he said he was stuck in traffic). We're guessing Kanye will soon want his day in court with Dr. Adams, too--and we hope the doctor doesn't show up late for that case, because we know the famously hot-tempered Kanye wouldn't tolerate any tardiness.kanyewestfoundation.org).
Meanwhile, Dr. Adams has issued the following statement: "I first want to express my deepest condolences to the West family at a very difficult time. Out of respect for the West family and in the absence of other verifiable information, any comment from me without first discussing that information with the family would be unprofessional."
Looks like this is going to be a much more serious feud than that whole Kanye-vs.-Fiddy media stunt.
We could write about other stuff this week...but frankly, poking fun of the latest Britney debacle, Boy George arrest, Wacko Jacko rumor, or band reunion in light of this tragedy seems in bad taste. Yes, believe it or not, even That's Really Week has a good/bad taste line (albeit a thin, fuzzy one) that we refuse to cross. So we'll sign off for now with a shout-out of sympathy to Kanye. Remember, Mr. West: That that don't kill you, can only make you stronger.
THIS WEEK'S TOP STORIES:
1) Kanye West's Mom Dies After Surgery - Dr. Donda West was only 58.
2) Spears Shutterbugs Go Splat - Two paparazzi crash their car while in hot pursuit of Britney.
3) Oh, Boy: George Charged With False Imprisonment - The Culture Club singer allegedly did want to hurt his victim.
4) Drying Out With The Stars - Marie Osmond's son is being treated for addiction.
5) When Hannah Montana Fans Attack - A class-action lawsuit is filed against the Miley Cyrus Fan Club.
6) Whole Lotta Cash - Led Zeppelin reunion tickets sell for $170,000.
7) Victoria Spills Her Secrets - Posh Spice talks exclusively to Yahoo! Music.
8) Never Can Say Goodbye - The King Of Pop may get back together with the Jackson 5.
9) Bloody Good News - In the meantime, seminal shoegazers My Bloody Valentine confirm reunion concerts for 2008.
10) They Tried To Play A Show At Rehab... - But employees at a California drug treatment center said no, no, no to Queens Of The Stone Age.
- Arts & Entertainment