David Liang and Abigail Washburn were inspired to write asong about China'sdevastating 2008 earthquake after they visited the country a year later. Theirsong "Sala" recorded with Liang's The Shanghai Restoration Project appears on anew album, "We Are The World - United In Song."
"In 2009, Abagail and I got a chance to go to the affectedregion and work with the children who had been displaced by the earthquake," Liangsaid. "The song 'Sala' is traditionally sung around a fire and is meant toinspire joy and hope."
"Sala" is one of "We Are The World - United In Song"'s 14records from world artists singing about issues faced in China, India, Mexico, Brazil, Sierra Leone and other countries.
Angelique Kidjo, Aurelio Martinez with Youssou N'Dour, EmiMeyer, Michael Franti & Spearhead, and Razia Said are among the artists whocontribute songs to the charitable project.
Emi Meyer's "Kimi Ni Tsuataetai" is about making choices."In Japanese, the title means, 'I want to tell you,'" Meyer said. "I reallyhope that those of us who are in the position to help out others will make thechoice to do what you can however great or little it may be and to act and notjust watch."
Released 25 years after the USA For Africa's "We Are TheWorld," "We Are The World - United In Song" also features the original effortproduced by Quincy Jones, Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson.
Watch: Original "We Are The World"
Proceeds from "We Are The World - United In Song" willbenefit USA For Africa and its support of Africa-focused programs around theworld.
Lila Downs who contributes "Arenita Azul," says she ishonored to be connected to the "We Are The World" brand. "'We Are The World'evokes memories of beauty of people coming together of all races and kinds and idealsand bringing together love and all kinds of music in order to change the faceof Africa, change the needs that people have," she says.
In February 2010, more than 70 artists recorded a new version of "We Are The World" called "We Are The World 25 For Haiti" to benefit those affected by Haiti's tragic earthquake in January.
1. Original Artists "We Are The World"
2. Michael Franti & Spearhead "Hello Bonjour"
3. Luisa Maita "Fulaninha"
4. Abigail Washburn & The Shanghai Restoration Project "Sala"
5. Aurelio Martinez & Youssou N' Dour "Labaru Wanwa"
6. Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars "JahMercy"
7. Razia Said "Slash and Burn"
8. Lila Downs "Arenita Azul"
9. Vieux Farka Toure' "Fafa"
10. Emi Meyer "Kimi Ni Tsutaetai"
11. BombayDub Orchestra "Feel"
12. Shamarr Allen & the Underdawgs "Only In America"
13. G. Love & Special Sauce "Peace, Love, andHappiness"
14. Angelique Kidjo "Agbalagba"
15. LeRoy Bell "A Change Is Coming"
- Shanghai Restoration Project