In the 1990s, the music world saw an up tick in the number of short, one syllable band names; Tool, Cake, Pulp, Ride, Lush, Curve, Phish and others jumped on the simplicity bandwagon. As in most things musical, trends change quickly, and in the aughties we've seen a substantial increase of long band names and song titles.
For this playlist I wanted to feature songs by bands who have adopted a complete sentence as their name. Of course, the full-sentence band name has been around a lot longer than the current decade (It's A Beautiful Life, They Might Be Giants, Johnny Hates Jazz), but lately it seems like it's become the "in thing" to do, with bands like And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead, I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness, I Am Kloot, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, I Am The World Trade Center, We Are Scientists, Be Your Own Pet, A Place To Bury Strangers, and These Arms Are Snakes reaching larger audiences. Bands are now trying to outdo each other with increasingly ridiculous names, and for some, this practice is starting to wear thin.
This 3 hour playlist contains 45 bands with full sentence names, and it's surprisingly listenable.
*Please note: Grammar was not a pre-requisite to make this list. Add any missing band names to the comments.
1. Ana Ng - They Might Be Giants
2. The Ghost - I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness
3. Relative Ways - And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
4. The Stars Look Familiar - I Am Kloot
5. Let The Cool Goddess Rust Away - Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
6. White Bird - It's A Beautiful Day
7. Autumn Sweater - Yo La Tengo
8. Can U Dig It? - Pop Will Eat Itself
9. Future Sightings - I Am The World Trade Center
10. Nobody Move, Nobody Get Hurt - We Are Scientists
11. Your Pearly Whites - These Arms Are Snakes
12. Bicycle, Bicycle, You Are My Bicycle - Be Your Own Pet
13. Miss Ohio's Nameless - Why?
14. Shattered Dreams - Johnny Hates Jazz
15. Missing - Everything But The Girl
16. Modern Woman - Dogs Die In Hot Cars
17. Tear You Apart - She Wants Revenge
18. The Best Happiness Money Can Buy - I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business
19. Your Mission Is An Intermission - Thunderbirds Are Now!
20. The Electricity In Your House Wants To Sing - I Am Robot And Proud
21. Pollen And Salt - Daphne Loves Derby
22. Words - They Shoot Horses
23. Where Love Goes - The Robot Ate Me
24. The Taste Of Your Mouth - Boy Eats Drum Machine
25. The Nocturnal House - Pretty Girls Make Graves
26. From Your Mouth - God Lives Underwater
27. Turning Around - I Love Space
28. You Did It - You Say Party! We Say Die!
29. Fiorina - Love Is Colder Than Death
30. Twilight Mountain - Help She Can't Swim
31. I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
32. Good Night Lady - Let's Get Out Of This Terrible Sandwich Shop
33. Write My Name In The Groove - His Name Is Alive
34. Heartache - Gene Loves Jezebel
35. Green Eyes - I Am The Avalanche