I grew up in a good Irish Catholic family and went to Catholic schools. In fact, the vast majority of people in the community where I grew up were Catholic. We thought we were a diverse community, after all we had Irish Catholics, Italian Catholics, German Catholics, and we even accepted a few protestants sprinkled here and there. I'm sure there were Jewish people somewhere close by, but they must have lived in a part of the city that we never ventured to. All I knew about Jewish culture is what I was taught in catechism class, or saw in movies like Fiddler On The Roof
. Every year during the holiday season Christmas is everywhere and Hanukkah seems to take a back seat. Can you name any famous Hanukkah songs besides that funny one by Adam Sandler? If you said yes to that question, I bet your Jewish. Anyway, why not spend a just a little time away from "Away In A Manger" and "Silent Night" and spend some time with these famous Hanukkah songs. And if you're Jewish, my best wishes to you and your family, I hope you are having a fantastic Hanukkah!
1. O Chanukah - Judy Caplan Ginsburgh
2. Mi Y'maleil - Paul Zim
3. Al Hanisim - Dafna
4. Ocho Kandelikas - Kenny Ellis
5. In the Window - Menorah Players
6. Hanerot Halalu - The Definiens Project
7. Light One Candle - Peter, Paul and Mary
8. Lots of Latkes - Jill Moskowitz
9. Not by Might - Not By Power - Debbie Friedman
10. The Chanukah Song - Adam Sandler
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.