One could easily create hundreds of martini music playlists that focus on the sophisticated songs of the rat pack, modern lounge acts, or even downtempo electronica. But for this playlist I wanted to select songs that use the drink as the subject, not as a description of the mood. Even though the name "martini" has been appended to flavors like chocolate, cranberry and apple -- the classic martini is simply gin (or vodka) and vermouth garnished with an olive. When you order a martini, take care to be specific. For example, I like mine "up, bruised, dry and dirty", which means a martini served in a classic long-stem martini glass (up), shaken with ice (bruised), less vermouth than normal (dry) and a bit of olive juice (dirty). James Bond likes his "shaken, not stirred", while W. Somerset Maugham proclaimed that "martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." Acceptable variations include replacing the olive with lemon peel (with a twist), or a small onion (Gibson).
I've been out with people who've ordered a martini only to be upset when it was served in a tumbler, or without an olive, or on ice, or too wet, but if your order was not specific, it's your own fault. So for the sake of our hard working bartenders, please learn how to order what you want.
This playlist is dedicated to all bartenders who have ever had to remake a martini because they could not read a customers mind.
1. It's Martini Time - Reverend Horton Heat
2. Martini - Incubus
3. A Martini Built for 2 - My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult
4. My Martini - Girls Against Boys
5. Martinis On The Roof - Superchunk
6. Champagne's For Celebrating (I'll Have A Martini) - Mayday Parade
7. Bacon Martini - Whiskey Daredevils
8. Martini Stomp - Martini Bros.
9. Martini Cocktail & Bossa Flavour - Vibraphile
10. Martini Lounge - Andrew W.K.
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.