I was on the road to a meeting late this afternoon when I heard on the radio that Michael Jackson had been rushed to the hospital. When I left the meeting the news had turned to "Michael Jackson, Dead at 50". Like most, I was shocked because he was so young, but also because he is such a legend in popular music. There will certainly be many articles written this week about MJ, some will be sterile and concise, some with be lengthy career recaps, and some will be tasteless and cruel. I have always had conflicted views on the man, but the truth is I did not know him. The only thing I can say about Michael Jackson with confidence is that he was a true musical genius and a legendary performer. We watched him grow up before our eyes and we bought more of his albums than any other artist in history. Michael's 1982 album Thriller
still holds the distinct honor of being the biggest selling album of all time with well over 100 million units sold worldwide. Something tells me that number will grow further and won't be surpassed anytime soon.
For this playlist I have put in chronological order every solo Michael Jackson song that reached the #1 spot on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. 12 songs in all, and there are many more to find if you consider his duet and group chart-toppers.
Rest in peace Michael, and thanks for the music, it will live longer than any of us.
Michael Jackson's Number One Hits
1. Ben - Michael Jackson
2. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - Michael Jackson
3. Rock With You - Michael Jackson
4. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
5. Beat It - Michael Jackson
6. I Just Can't Stop Loving You - Michael Jackson
7. Bad - Michael Jackson
8. The Way You Make Me Feel - Michael Jackson
9. Man In The Mirror - Michael Jackson
10. Dirty Diana - Michael Jackson
11. Black Or White - Michael Jackson
12. You Are Not Alone - Michael Jackson
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.