This is the most heart-wrenching playlist I have ever posted. An article I stumbled upon two years ago in the Washington Post highlighted the emergence of the playlist as the next wave in music and references the Gartner study on the subject.
But is was one particular playlist mentioned that really grabbed me.
The article introduced me to Justine Saylors who lost her beautiful 14-year old son Lance to cancer. She turned to the playlist as a way to help her cope with what is the most difficult thing we can face as human beings, the loss of a child. Her playlists also provided a way for her to connect with others.
As you listen to the songs in this playlist and read Lance's memoriam on Caringbridge.org you may find yourself overcome with emotion to the point of tears. Every song, whether you like them or not, is magnified 100 times by the context in which the list was put together. Each one takes on new meaning and becomes a powerful force.
This is the power of the playlist at it's very best.
Justine Saylor's first playlist for her son Lance after his passing
1. Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again - Andrew Lloyd Webber
2. So Long, So Wrong - Alison Krauss & Union Station
3. Slumber My Darling - Yo-Yo Ma
4. Incomplete - Backstreet Boys
5. Show Me The Meaning Of Being Lonely - Backstreet Boys
6. I Am Your Child - Barry Manilow
7. Morning Has Broken - Cat Stevens
8. Fly - Celine Dion
9. If I Could - Celine Dion
10. Fix You - Coldplay
11. To The Morning - Dan Fogelberg
12. On Golden Pond - David Grusin
13. Circle Of Life - Elton John
14. Only Time - Enya
15. You're Still Here (Single Version) - Faith Hill
16. Both Sides, Now - Joni Mitchell
17. Remember Me This Way - Jordan Hill
18. To Where You Are - Josh Groban
19. Dust In The Wind - Kansas
20. Who You'd Be Today - Kenny Chesney
21. I Hope You Dance - Lee Ann Womack
22. Can Heaven Wait - Luther Vandross
23. The Impossible Dream - Luther Vandross
24. He's My Son (Without Background Vocals) - Mark Schultz
25. 10,000 Miles - Mary Chapin Carpenter
26. This Is Not Goodbye - Melissa Etheridge
27. Homesick - MercyMe
28. Don't Speak - No Doubt
29. My Only Love - Roxy Music
30. By Your Side - Sade
31. The Sound Of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
32. Best I'll Ever Be - Sister Hazel
33. When I Look To The Sky - Train
34. How Do I Live - Trisha Yearwood