I have conflicting opinions about it. On one hand, Black Friday represents the pinnacle of a consumerist culture, and brings out the worst in people. This year there were reports of pepper spraying, violence and even murder as people fought to get deals on material things made in China. However, on the other hand most people were not violent, and most are buying for others, not themselves. In our current economy, which is driven mostly by the consumer, we should all be hoping for a blockbuster holiday shopping season.
It looks like we may have gotten it. Over the four days from Thanksgiving until Sunday, American consumers spent $52,5 billion, that's up 16% from last year. And the stock market reacted quite favorably to the news yesterday. And this is before adding in online sales from Cyber Monday, which also seems to have been a blowout. Only time will tell is the spending will keep up until Christmas, but if it does, it will be good news for our economy at large.
In honor of all those who braved the crowds to help stimulate the economy, I've built this 18 song shopping-inspired playlist.
What would you add?
1. Shop Til Ya Drop - Hustle
2. Shopping Bags (She Got from You) - De La Soul
3. Come Shop Wit Me - Young Jeezy
4. Shopping - Barenaked Ladies
5. Shopping For Blood - Franz Ferdinand
6. Shopping Bag - Clinic
7. Go Shopping - The Mendoza Line
8. Shopping - Pet Shop Boys
9. Shopping Trolley - Beth Orton
10. Shopping For Dresses - Merle Haggard
11. Window Shopping - Hank Williams
12. Baby's Gone Shopping - Jimmy Buffett
13. Shopping For Girls - Tin Machine
14. Shopping All Day - Super XX Man
15. Strength Thru Shopping - Jello Biafra and the Guantanamo School of Medicine
16. Shop 'til You Drop Dead - The Dangers
17. Shopping - Eek-A-Mouse
18. Shopping On Christmas Eve - Keb' Mo'
Follow what Robert is listening to at Twitter.