The attacks 7 years ago on September 11th saw Islamist terrorists murder 3,000 innocent people from over 90 different countries at the World Trade Center, The Pentagon and at Shanskville, Pa.
The horrible event is burned into the minds of billions across the world and was the catalyst for the U.S. led War on Terror. The horror of the attacks and the world's response has been creating reaction accross the globe since it occurred. Musicians have also taken part in the conversation with many songs inspired by the events of 9/11.
This playlist examines the feelings of songwriters in regards to the attacks of 9/11.
I tried to include many different perspectives on the events in this list of songs. The playlist includes calls for justice and revenge, calls for healing, restraint and peace, commentary on politics, and even wacky conspiracy theories that seem to be rife among the credulous fringes.
Those of us who lived through that horrible day can remember it just as vividly today as when it unfolded live before our unbelieving eyes. And although there is a good deal of disagreement on the reaction to 9/11 we can all agree that those murdered were innocent, those who plotted and planned are murderers, and those who disagree with these points are not worth hearing.
Songs About the Attacks of September 11, 2001
1. Covered In Rain - John Mayer
2. Sacrificed Sons - Dream Theater
3. Undivided - Bon Jovi
4. Courtesy Of The Red, White And Blue (The Angry American) - Toby Keith
5. Let's Roll - Neil Young
6. Bravest - Tom Paxton
7. New Killer Star - David Bowie
8. Ludlow Street - Suzanne Vega
9. The City Sleeps In Flames - Scary Kids Scaring Kids
10. Self Evident - Ani DiFranco
11. The Evil Has Landed - Testament
12. September 11 2001 American People - Pollydore
13. You Are My Hope - Skillet
14. On That Day - Leonard Cohen
15. Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning) - Alan Jackson
16. 911 For Peace - Anti-Flag
17. Rules - Wu-Tang Clan
18. Skylines And Turnstiles - My Chemical Romance
19. If This Is Goodbye - Mark Knopfler
20. When The Eagle Cries - Iced Earth
21. Have You Forgotten? - Darryl Worley
22. One Last Time - Dusty Drake
23. Empty Walls - Serj Tankian
24. New New York - The Cranberries
25. America/911 - L.D. Jones
26. September 11 - Karl Marsh
27. The Rising - Bruce Springsteen