When you go to a Chinese restaurant do you find yourself looking up your Chinese zodiac sign on the menu? Yeah, me too. I thought it was worth putting a playlist together. Below are all twelve of the Chinese zodiac signs, corresponding years, personality traits and a song for each. Don't like your song? Tell us what you would pick.
1. Rat (1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972, 1984, 1996, 2008): Forthright, tenacious, intense, meticulous, charismatic, sensitive, hardworking, industrious, charming, eloquent, sociable, artistic, shrewd. Can be manipulative, vindictive, self-destructive, mendacious, venal, obstinate, critical, over-ambitious, ruthless, intolerant, scheming.
Song: The Rat - The Walkmen
2. Ox (1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1985, 1997, 2009): Dependable, ambitious, calm, methodical, born leader, patient, hardworking, conventional, steady, modest, logical, resolute, tenacious. Can be stubborn, narrow-minded, materialistic, rigid, demanding.
Song: Ox Drivin' Blues - Leadbelly
3. Tiger (1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1986, 1998, 2010): Unpredictable, rebellious, colorful, powerful, passionate, daring, impulsive, vigorous, stimulating, sincere, affectionate, humanitarian, generous. Can be restless, reckless, impatient, quick-tempered, obstinate, selfish, aggressive, moody.
Song: Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor
4. Rabbit (1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1987, 1999, 2011): Gracious, good friend, kind, sensitive, soft-spoken, amiable, elegant, reserved, cautious, artistic, thorough, tender, self-assured, shy, astute, compassionate, lucky, flexible. Can be moody, detached, superficial, self-indulgent, opportunistic, stubborn.
Song: White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
5. Dragon (1928, 1940, 1952, 1964, 1988, 2000, 2012): Magnanimous, stately, vigorous, strong, self-assured, proud, noble, direct, dignified, jealous, eccentric, intellectual, fiery, passionate, decisive, pioneering, artistic, generous, loyal. Can be tactless, arrogant, imperious, tyrannical, demanding, intolerant, dogmatic, violent, impetuous, brash.
Song: Puff, The Magic Dragon - Peter, Paul and Mary
6. Snake (1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1989, 2001, 2013): Deep thinker, wise, mystic, graceful, soft-spoken, sensual, creative, prudent, shrewd, elegant, cautious, responsible, calm, strong, constant, purposeful. Can be loner, bad communicator, possessive, hedonistic, self-doubting, distrustful, mendacious, suffocating, cold.
Song: Black Snake Moan - Blind Lemon Jefferson
7. Horse (1930, 1942, 1954, 1966, 1990, 2002, 2014): Cheerful, popular, quick-witted, changeable, earthy, perceptive, talkative, agile, magnetic, intelligent, astute, flexible, open-minded. Can be fickle, arrogant, childish, anxious, rude, gullible, stubborn.
Song: Wild Horses - The Rolling Stones
8. Sheep (1931, 1943, 1955, 1967, 1991, 2003, 2015): Righteous, sincere, sympathetic, mild-mannered, shy, artistic, creative, gentle, compassionate, understanding, mothering, determined, peaceful, generous, seeks security. Can be moody, indecisive, over-passive, worrier, pessimistic, over-sensitive, complainer, weak-willed.
Song: Sheep - Pink Floyd
9. Monkey (1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1992, 2004, 2016): Inventor, motivator, improviser, quick-witted, inquisitive, flexible, innovative, problem solver, self-assured, sociable, artistic, polite, dignified, competitive, objective, factual, intellectual. Can be egotistical, vain, selfish, reckless, snobbish, deceptive, manipulative, cunning, jealous, suspicious.
Song: Monkey - Low
10. Rooster (1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1993, 2005, 2017): Acute, neat, meticulous, organized, self-assured, decisive, conservative, critical, perfectionist, alert, zealous, practical, scientific, responsible. Can be over zealous and critical, puritanical, egotistical, abrasive, opinionated, given to empty bravado.
Song: Rooster - Alice in Chains
11. Dog (1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1994, 2006, 2018): Honest, intelligent, straightforward, loyal, sense of justice and fair play, attractive, amicable, unpretentious, sociable, open-minded, idealistic, moralistic, practical, affectionate, sensitive, easy going. Can be cynical, lazy, cold, judgmental, pessimistic, worrier, stubborn, quarrelsome.
Song: I Wanna Be Your Dog - The Stooges
12. Pig (1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1995, 2007, 2019): Honest, gallant, sturdy, sociable, peace-loving, patient, loyal, hard-working, trusting, sincere, calm, understanding, thoughtful, scrupulous, passionate, intelligent. Can be naïve, over-reliant, self-indulgent, gullible, fatalistic, materialistic, erant, dogmatic, violent, impetuous, brash.
Song: Pig's In Zen - Jane's Addiction
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.