The banana is said to have first appeared in the tropical areas of Southeast Asia. But its popularity as a food source spurred expansion throughout topical areas of the globe. There are now 107 countries that grow bananas, but India leads the way. In 2007, India produced 21.77 million metric tons of bananas and its closest competitor, China, produced 8.04 million metric tons. Of course, bananas are shipped all over the world to be eaten in a myriad of different ways, but the most popular way to dine on a banana is to just peel and devour it raw. They are nature's perfectly wrapped, on-the-go food. Although the banana is not very high on the list of subjects for songwriters, the fruit has inspired its fair share of songs. This playlist includes my selections for the top 10 songs about bananas.
Peel slowly and see.
Top 10 Banana Songs
1. Day-O (Banana Boat) - Harry Belafonte
2. Banana Co - Radiohead
3. Bananas And Blow - Ween
4. 30,000 Pounds Of Bananas - Harry Chapin
5. Fried Bananas - Cal Tjader
6. Banana Pancakes - Jack Johnson
7. Banana In Your Fruit Basket - Bo Carter
8. Banana Split (The Tra La La Song) - The Dickies
9. Smokin' Banana Peels - The Dead Milkmen
10. Yes! We Have No Bananas - Spike Jones
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.