When I think of country music two places come to mind, Nashville and Texas. Not to take anything away from all the great music Nashville has given us, but lately when I think of Nashville I think of that commercialized new country sound so many of us have come to hate. When I think of Texas no such taint exists. In my mind Texas is synonymous with the real deal. I see leather and dust, giant grilled slabs of meat, gritty honky tonks and country bands that can out drink you and kick your ass without much trouble. Texans are a proud people, and songs about Texas reflect the pride well.
There are literally thousands of songs written about, or inspired by Texas, but for this playlist I've focused on selecting what I feel are the top 10 best country songs about the state. It was difficult to compile as I had to leave some great ones out.
What would you add, and what would you remove?
Top 10 Country Songs About Texas
1. Deep In The Heart Of Texas - Gene Autry
2. The Yellow Rose Of Texas - Ernest Tubb
3. San Antonio Rose - Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys
4. T for Texas - Jimmie Rodgers
5. Amarillo By Morning - George Strait
6. That's Right (You're Not From Texas) - Lyle Lovett
7. Luckenbach,Texas (Back To The Basics Of Love) - Waylon Jennings
8. Texas On A Saturday Night - Feat. Mel Tillis - Willie Nelson
9. El Paso - Marty Robbins
10. Texas Lullabye - David Allan Coe
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.