Doo-wop was born on the street corners of major American cities like New York, L.A., Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in the 1950s. And as with most popular musical art forms, African-Americans get the credit for inventing doo-wop. It formed when groups of R&B singers combined complex vocal harmony, and different vocal ranges to reproduce various instruments. It eventually evolved to have a very distinct and easily recognizable sound. Today, you'll be hard-pressed to find modern pop artists capable of creating the type of complex vocal parts that doo-wop music requires. Some of the very best doo-wop songs combine this distinctive vocal style with unforgettable hooks that have stood the test of time.
The 10 tracks in this playlist are the most successful doo-wop songs of all time according to Billboard magazine.
Top 10 Doo-Wop Hits of All Time
1. At The Hop - Danny and the Juniors
2. Come Go With Me - The Del-Vikings
3. Blue Moon - The Marcels
4. Duke of Earl - Gene Chandler
5. Stay - Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs
6. 16 Candles - The Crests
7. There Goes My Baby - The Drifters
8. The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens
9. Little Darlin' - The Diamonds
10. Little Star - The Elegants
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.