Waterloo is a city in Belgium with a population of only about 30,000 people. But it became famous 196 years ago today (June 18th, 1815) for the Battle of Waterloo, which saw Napoleon's Imperial French army defeated by the armies of the Seventh Coalition. The historic fight left 65,000 soldiers dead, missing or wounded, and it became synonymous with defeat, retreat, failure and/or surrender. Many songwriters have used Waterloo as a metaphor, and for this playlist I've selected 10 tracks that use Waterloo as a main theme, or mention it somewhere in the lyrics.
What have I missed?
1. Waterloo - ABBA
2. Walking Back to Waterloo - Bee Gees
3. Paris - Dido
4. Waterloo Sunset - The Kinks
5. Return To Waterloo - Ray Davies
6. Waterloo - Stonewall Jackson
7. Waterloo Lily - Caravan
8. The Boy Who Ran Away - Mystery Jets
9. Pink Frosty - Fugazi
10. Waterloo For Two - Nate Brown
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.