A new inquest into the death of Amy Winehouse concluded that the singer died of alcohol poisoning, The Associated Press reports. The finding was idential to the original inquest in 2011, though the first was annulled last year after it emerged that the coroner who conducted it wasn't properly qualified.
This time, coroner Shirley Radcliffe ruled Winehouse "died as a result of alcohol toxicity." Radcliffe recorded a verdict of death by misadventure and confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances.
A postmortem indicated Winehouse had a blood alcohol level of 0.4, and a pathologist told the inquest the singer likely suffered respiratory arrest from the high levels of alcohol. Another doctor said Winehouse had successfully given up drugs but still struggled with drinking, going through periods of abstinence and binging. Winehouse had quit drinking for almost two weeks, but broke her dry spell a few days before her death.
Amy Winehouse was found dead at her London home on July 23, 2011. She was 27.
- Addiction & Substance Abuse
- Death & Funeral