Grace Potter and the Nocturnals wanted to capture the right spirit for The Lone Ranger: Wanted, so the Vermont folk-rockers reached back in time to immerse themselves in The Lone Ranger's origins as a radio show. When the band looked back on that history, they found an old country gem in "Devil's Train" and set to work on an adaptation.
"I'm a big movie geek, so when we were invited to contribute to the project, I got really into it and started researching the original Lone Ranger radio broadcasts from the 1930s. I found 'Devil's Train' on an old Roy Acuff record, taught it to the guys and we recorded it live on the air for a show called Daytrotter," Potter tells Rolling Stone. "No fancy studio tricks . . . that's the recording you get right here and that's the way Tonto would want it."
The Lone Ranger: Wanted is out July 2nd and features music inspired by the franchise, including tracks by Iggy Pop, Ben Kweller, Iron and Wine and more. The Lone Ranger, starring Armie Hammer and Johnny Depp, opens in theaters on July 3rd. Full tracklisting for The Lone Ranger: Wanted follows below.
The Lone Ranger: Wanted
1) Ben Kweller, "Holy Water"
2) Grace Potter and The Nocturnals, "Devil's Train"
3) Shane MacGowan, "Poor Paddy on the Railway"
4) Pete Molinari, "So Long Gone"
5) Sara Watkins, "Central and Union"
6) The White Buffalo, "The American Dream"
7) Dave Alvin, "Lonesome Whistle"
8) Iggy Pop, "Sweet Betsy from Pike"
9) Iron and Wine, "Rattling Bone "
10) The Rubens, "Cowboy"
11) Lucinda Williams, "Everything but the Truth"
12) The Aggrolites, "The Truth Lives On"
13) Gomez, "Butch's Ballad"
14) John Grant, "Saddle the Wind"
- Arts & Entertainment