"American Idol" has had its share of unexpected losses, but this past week's results had the whole "Idol" family in shock.
22 year-old contestant Pia Toscano, who has survived the competition thus far on heartbreaking ballads, took the judges' advice this week and performed the up-tempo Ike & Tina Turner hit "River Deep, Mountain High" much to the delight of the panel.
Actress Alyssa Milano said, "What in the world? Pia? Pia was sent home? How is that possible? I'm so confused."
"Idol" veteran Jennifer Hudson tweeted, "I can not believe they just eliminated Pia! Really? As long as she walked away with that voice she will be alright! Just hate to see talent like that go!" Former "Idol" judge Ellen DeGeneres also chimed in to her 6.3 million followers, "I am shocked and so sad."
Even Tom Hanks tweeted, "Don't have an IDOL habit, but how could the USA vote Pia off? I may be done for the season!"
But "Entertainment Tonight" host Nancy O'Dell was one of few who tried to shed some light, saying, "Teenagers are voting, popularity contest. Pia had the most potential and talent."
Check out our links for more on this week's top stories. Here's hoping for less losses and more gains next week!
THIS WEEK'S TOP 5 MUSIC STORIES:
1) Goodbye Pia - "Idol" favorite Pia Toscano voted off
2) Remembering Kurt - Interest surges for Kurt Cobain's daughter on day of his death
3) Grammys Slim Down- 31 categories cut from awards show
4) Sub-Spears - Britney Spears debuts her underground music video
5) Have You Now - Lady Antebellum gets title of "Most Downloaded Country Song"
Follow Tiffany on Twitter:
Follow Yahoo! Music:
- Arts & Entertainment
- Pia Toscano
- American Idol