"It really affected me quite deeply," she said. "Isn't it strange to say 'She is,' and now I have to say 'She was?' I'm just really glad that we got to admire her and tell her how much we loved her when she was alive. I hope she knows now in Heaven, where she is, how much we all loved her."
Bennett was the last to record with Winehouse, a duet of the 1930 classic "Body and Soul" in March at Abbey Road Studios in London. It will appear on his upcoming Duets II LP, out September 20th. "Everybody was apprehensive as to how it was going to go," he said. "But she was really the best of all the young artists that I met in the current scene in the last 10 or 15 years. She was really singing true jazz. It's just too tragic. I wanted to talk to her and tell her that if she doesn't stop she's going to die. I wanted to talk her out of the drugs, but unfortunately I never had a chance to talk to her."
As she continued talking, Gaga's eyes welled up. "I'm a huge fan," she said. "She was my only hope when I was up and coming. Nobody knew who I was and I had no fans, no record label and everybody, when they met me, said I wasn't pretty enough or that my voice was too low or strange. They had nowhere to put me. And then I saw her in Rolling Stone and I saw her live. I just remember thinking 'Well, they found somewhere to put Amy...'"
Gaga added: "She's really special. She just gave me a lot of hope and she deserved a lot better than what people gave her. And I hope that the world learns a lesson from this. I really hope they do. Because it's not her lesson to learn - it's the world's."
- Amy Winehouse: A Troubled Star Gone Too Soon
- Photos: Amy Winehouse Remembered
- Photos: The Tumultuous Life Of Amy Winehouse
- Musicians Respond to Amy Winehouse's Death
- The Diva and her Demons: Rolling Stone's 2007 Amy Winehouse Cover Story
- Up All Night with Amy Winehouse: Rolling Stone's 2008 Story
- Video: Behind the Feature: Claire Hoffman on Interviewing Amy Winehouse
- Photos: Not Fade Away: Amy Winehouse and More Rockers Lost Before Their Time
- Video: Amy Winehouse: Remembering the Soul Icon
- Video: U2 Pay Tribute to Amy Winehouse
- Family: Amy Winehouse's Death 'Leaves a Gaping Hole In Our Lives'
- Courtney Love on Amy Winehouse: 'I'm Gutted'
Photo by Alo Ceballos/FilmMagic (Gaga), Dave M. Benett/Getty Images(Winehouse)
- Rolling Stone
- Tony Bennett