A cappella is music that uses only the voice. No instruments can be used to be considered a cappella, and this form of music even has its own genres including doo wop, barbershop and collegiate. For this playlist I wanted to focus only on a cappella songs that were released in the 1980s. Some of these became huge hits, including the #1 song "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin, which became the first ever a cappella song to reach the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100. Other songs in the list may not have impacted the popular culture to the same degree as McFerrin did, but in the world of a cappella music are very well known. Many of the groups here are purely a cappella groups, including the Nylons, the Bobs and the Flying Pickets, while others are more traditional instrument-slinging artists who took a stab at recording an a cappella track.
What's your favorite a cappella song of the 80s, or of all time?
A Cappella Songs of the 1980s
1. A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square - Manhattan Transfer
2. The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Nylons
3. Psycho Killer - The Bobs
4. Only You - The Flying Pickets
5. The Longest Time - Billy Joel (Ok, not totally a cappella, but close enough)
6. Another Night In Tunisia - Manhattan Transfer
7. Homeless - Paul Simon
8. Leave It (A Capella Version) - Yes
9. Kiss Him Goodbye - The Nylons
10. Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.