One of Billboard's newest charts is called the Social 50. It's a ranking of the active artists on popular social network sites like Facebook. Although the exact formula is not published, Billboard states that artists who make the chart are determined by a formula which considers weekly fan/friend additions, artist page views and song streams. The Social 50 chart is updated weekly and this playlist includes the current top 10 for the week of February 12, 2011. It will be interesting to see how the performances of the Black Eyed Peas and Christina Aguilera at the Super Bowl on Sunday will impact this chart, if at all. If you had hopes that social networks would help promote diversity in pop music this chart is a sad revelation, as it's not much different than traditional charts, with a couple exceptions.
Current Most Popular Artists On Social Networks
1. Baby featuring Ludacris - Justin Bieber
2. What's My Name? featuring Drake - Rihanna
3. Right Now (Na Na Na) - Akon
4. Alejandro - Lady Gaga
5. Hips Don't Lie (featuring Wyclef Jean) - Shakira
6. Teenage Dream - Katy Perry
7. Love The Way You Lie featuring Rihanna - Eminem
8. What The Hell - Avril Lavigne
9. Back To December - Taylor Swift
10. Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.