A recent New York Times/CBS poll shows that only 28% of Americans are following the royal wedding "very closely", or "somewhat closely". The poll also shows that women are far more interested than men. However, something tells me a lot more than 28% of people in the U.S. will be watching the event on April 29. If you're truly not interested in the wedding, but find yourself unable to escape, there are some things you can do to make it more fun. Bookies around the world are setting odds on just about everything surrounding the royal nuptials. You can wager on the color of the queen's hat, the weather, the food that will be served, and even the song that will be played for the first dance. So guys, if you can't wiggle out of watching the marriage of William and Kate, placing some friendly bets can help make it much more exciting.
As a music lover I'm interested in the songs that will be part of the festivities and the Internet is abuzz trying to guess what will be on the soundtrack. We know that the ceremony will include The Choir of Westminster Abbey, The Chapel Royal Choir, The London Chamber Orchestra, The Fanfare Team from the Central Band of the Royal Air Force and The State Trumpeters of The Household Cavalry. George Michael has already recorded a version of Stevie Wonder's "You And I" as a gift for the couple, which can be downloaded for free at GeorgeMichael.com. There are rumors that Sir Paul McCartney will be performing. But the question on everyone's mind is what have Kate and William selected as the song for their first dance?
Selecting the right first dance song is a difficult thing to do and is amplified 100 fold for a wedding as big as this. The key is to avoid something that people will consider too cheesy, or cliché. A good rule of thumb is to go with something classic that is lyrically appropriate, and that you have not heard at a wedding before.
This playlist includes songs that currently have odds attached through many online bookmakers in the UK, and I'm afraid many of these break the cheesy/cliché rule. I think it makes sense that an English artist would be selected and I'll put my money on Sir Elton John considering his friendship with William's mother Diana and his knighthood.
So while you check out the list of possibilities below, I have two questions for you, "What song do you think they'll pick for their first dance", and "What song would you pick"?
First Dance Song Possibilities For The Royal Wedding of William & Kate
1. You're Beautiful - James Blunt
2. Something About The Way You Look Tonight - Elton John
3. I Don't Want To Miss A Thing - Aerosmith
4. (Everything I Do) I Do It For You - Bryan Adams
5. Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
6. Your Song - Elton John
7. At Last - Etta James
8. Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol
9. Have I Told You Lately - Rod Stewart
10. If I Ain't Got You - Alicia Keys
11. Can You Feel The Love Tonight - Elton John
12. Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
13. From This Moment On - Shania Twain
14. You Do Something To Me - Paul Weller
15. The Way You Look Tonight - Frank Sinatra
16. It Had To Be You - Harry Connick, Jr.
17. Hero - Enrique Iglesias
18. Because You Loved Me - Celine Dion
19. When You Say Nothing At All - Ronan Keating
20. Unchained Melody - The Righteous Brothers
21. Home - Michael Buble
22. Love Me Tender - Elvis Presley
23. The Power Of Love - Jennifer Rush
24. True - Spandau Ballet
25. Dancing Queen - ABBA
26. All Night Long - Lionel Richie
27. Angels - Robbie Williams
28. (I've Had) The Time Of My Life - Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.