When compared to the universe, the Milky Way is just a tiny speck, almost insignificant in the big scheme of things, but it's our home. Yet, when we compare our home galaxy to ourselves, its massive size is almost impossible to comprehend. The Milky Way is 100,000 light years in diameter and contains around 400 billion stars. A songwriter can use the Milky Way to express many different ideas. In addition to writing songs that speak directly to the physical reality of the Milky Way, it can also be used to convey beauty, distance, loneliness, or home. For this playlist I've selected a dozen songs that are either about the Milky Way, or mention it by name somewhere in the lyrics.
There are certainly hundreds more where these came from, what would you add?
Ode To The Milky Way
1. Under The Milky Way - The Church
2. Hummingbird - Wilco
3. Milky Way - GNU
4. Walking On The Milky Way - Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (OMD)
5. I Think I'm Go Go - Squeeze
6. Cygnus X-1 - Rush
7. Sedan Delivery - Neil Young
8. Show Me - Pretenders
9. Far Out - Blur
10. I'll Try Something New - Smokey Robinson
11. The Stars That Play With Laughing Sam's Dice - Jimi Hendrix
12. Honeymoon On a Rocket - Hank Snow
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.