There are only a handful of modern rock bands that emerged from college radio in the 1980s that not only went on to conquer the world, but continue to make music loved by both the masses and the critics alike. U2 is probably at the top of the heap, but if I had to pick #2 it would be a toss up between the Cure and R.E.M. R.E.M. was formed in Athens, GA in 1980 and they helped start a movement that is still the pride of this small college town of just over 100,000 people. I can still remember hearing "So. Central Rain" circa 1984 on my local college radio station when the band was just getting started. I was so impressed with the song that I ran out and spent my allowance to buy Reckoning
. Well, I was not the only kid the band touched. They have also inspired thousands of musicians who came both before and after.
This playlist includes 16 R.E.M. songs as performed by other artists. What would you add?
1. So. Central Rain - Hem
2. Losing My Religion - Glee Cast
3. It's The End Of The World As We Know It - DC Talk
4. Driver 8 - Old 97's
5. Can't Get There From Here - Mr. T Experience
6. (Don't Go Back To) Rockville - Bain Mattox
7. Everybody Hurts - Joe Cocker
8. Fall On Me - Pickin' On
9. Low - Jawbox
10. The One I Love - Rosie Thomas
11. Orange Crush - Because I Got High
12. Pop Song 89 - Rockfour
13. Pretty Persuasion - Jawbreaker
14. Radio Free Europe - Steve Lieberman
15. The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight - Dashboard Confessional
16. Shiny Happy People - Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.