In November 1968, the Turtles released their fifth studio album. It was titled The Turtles Present the Battle of the Bands
and it contained a song called "I'm Chief Kamanawanalea (We're the Royal Macadamia Nuts)". It was a short comedic ditty that sounded like the guys were just goofing around in the studio. It is just 1 minute and 34 seconds long, but features a groovy drum track and incessant cowbell that would make Christopher Walken proud. Far from a hit at the time the song has found its place in history as sample fodder in the world of hip-hop. Looped samples of the drums on "Kamanawanalea" can be found in a myriad of popular hip-hop songs, and for this playlist I've selected a bunch for your listening pleasure. The list kicks off with the original recording by The Turtles and is followed by 11 tracks that sample it.
What have I missed?
Songs That Sample "I'm Chief Kamanawanalea (We're the Royal Macadamia Nuts)" by The Turtles
1. I'm Chief Kamanawanalea (We're The Royal Macadamia Nuts) - The Turtles
2. Say No Go - De La Soul
3. Jimmy James - Beastie Boys
4. Mister Cee's Master Plan - Big Daddy Kane
5. In And Out - Del The Funky Homosapien
6. Talkin' All That Jazz - Stetsasonic
7. AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted - Ice Cube
8. Go Go Dancer - Pizzicato Five
9. On Est Ensemble Sans Se Parler - L. O. V. E. - United Future Organization
10. Caribbean Breeze - The Wiseguys
11. Right On featuring Joanna Newsom, STS - The Roots
12. Be Ok - Chrisette Michele
Follow what Robert is listening to on Twitter.
- Royal Macadamia Nuts
- Christopher Walken
- the Turtles